|
Strength in what remains behind
ourinsecurities
|
|
JANNA,18 Aaron Beatrice Caihong Cally Daniel Denise Eliz Ferlin Hongwei Janice! Queenie! Rusydi SiewYee Tse Lin Credits
©Glamouresque. |
Tuesday, August 07, 2012
I HOPE U LIKE MY LETTER MR DEAN
Basically very flowery words that all points to a single main factor: I AM TOO STUPID FOR THE COURSE. DUH. I still dont understand the need for writing a letter, complete waste of time!
To:
Faculty of Science, Associate Dean (Academic)
Dear
Sir/Mdm
I am an
international student who just started classes in UQ this Semester 2, 2012.
BIOL 2202, Genetics, had been my
elective course of choice at the beginning of this semester. It was a main
point of interest for me, and I also felt that it would be an added advantage
to take a related Science elective. However, I was concerned after reading the
course profile as it stated that BIOL1020 was a prerequisite for BIOL2202, and
I did not have that foundation. Instead, I would be taking both courses
simultaneously this semester. After seeking advice from a faculty member and
given reassurance that this course of action was appropriate, I went ahead and
signed on for BIOL2202 classes.
Despite attending all the
lectures regularly, revising with Lectopia, and reading extra material on
concepts I do not understand, I found myself struggling to understand the
course’s content. I was determined to continue and complete the course by putting
in extra effort to compensate for my lack of fundamental knowledge, which I
believe is the main attributing factor in my case. However, the defining moment
came when even after all the hard work, I was unable to do the sample MCQ
questions posted by the course coordinator, Mr James Fraser, on the evening of
3rd August 2012.
Arranging a consultation
appointment with Mr Fraser had been an option I was contemplating, but I
decided against it as there were simply too many key concepts I could not
comprehend, and the time frame was realistically impossible to work within. I
started to weigh the pros and cons of investing a significantly larger amount
of time in an elective as compared to my core modules. Evidently, the
disadvantages heavily outweighed the advantages. Hence, with a heavy heart, I have decided to switch courses as I
predict a detrimental outcome on my academic performance if I do not do so.
After researching on various
courses provided by UQ, I found myself being drawn to the School of Human
Movement’s course on Health and Fitness through Diet and
Exercise, NUTR1023. Understanding how the body responds to different classes of
food and evaluating different diet schemes, including how exercise can optimize
an individual’s health, is a rather refreshing course to take apart from
Science courses.
Thus far, I have missed out on 2
lectures, adding up to a total of 4 hours. No assessments or practical sessions
have been carried out yet. In order to catch up with the course’s pace, I
intend to listen to the Lectopia recordings and read the notes in detail,
clarifying any uncertainties or doubts with the course lecturers. Approval as a
late addition to this course has already been given by the course coordinator,
Mr Michael Leveritt, and practical sessions have also been arranged.
I look forward to an early
favourable reply so that I am able to gain access to the materials on
Blackboard and get up to speed with my peers.
Sincerely,
Janna Tay Lin Hui
42948362 |